Helston Health Walks
A local Walking group for Helston & surrounding area, organised by trained Volunteer Walk Leaders
Walking as an activity to promote good health has long been known about, but it wasn't until GP, Dr William Bird, started organising formal walking groups for the patients of his medical practice that it became a national UK phenomenon, with hundreds of local walking groups organised under the title Walking For Health.
Here's Dr William Bird talking about the benefits of walking: Intelligent Health
In September 2009 I helped establish a local walking group in the Helston & Lizard area, with the help of the Cornwall coordinator for Walking For Health and training from the NHS in route risk asssessment, health & safety & organisational skills.
Scientific research over many years has demonstrated the clear benefit to our health from regular brisk walking including:
- manage your weight
- control your blood pressure
- significantly decrease your risk of heart disease
- reduce high cholesterol
- lower your risk of stroke
- prevent colon and breast cancer
- massively reduce your risk of developing diabetes
- avoid the need for gallstone surgery
- prevent impotence
- protect against hip fracture
- prevent and treat depression
- lower stress levels
- improve your quality of sleep
- elevate your mood and sense of well-being
- strengthen muscles, bones and joints
- and relieve arthritis and back pain
Research has found that these amazing benefits can be obtained from brisk walking for as little as 30 minutes a day, and the most benefit is obtained from doing 7 hours per week. For instance, walking can give you 20% reduction in risk of getting breast cancer, 30% less chance of getting heart disease, 50% less chance of diabetes, and you live longer, healthier and happier into old age!
Brisk walking is defined as 3-4 miles per hour, or 15-20 minutes per mile. Or a purposeful walk for most people.
Our local walking group eventually was taken into the diligent & dedicated care of Linda Hawkins, who now co-ordinates the walks under the name Helston Health Walks. Linda's contact email is: email@example.com
The group comprises many friendly local people, which is as much about the social experience as it is enjoying the walking in the countryside.
If you join in on their walks you'll get to discover some amazingly beautiful & often obscure areas of the local countryside you may never have known about.
You can find upto date information on the group's Facebook Page